Play the Songs
- "The Wizard of Oz" Opening YPE
- Over the Rainbow YPE (rehearsal)
- Over the Rainbow YPE (performance)
- The Cyclone YPE (rehearsal)
- The Cyclone YPE (performance)
- Munchkinland YPE (rehearsal)
- Munchkinland Musical Sequence YPE (rehearsal)
- Munchkinland Musical Sequence YPE (performance)
- Yellow Brick Road YPE (rehearsal)
- Yellow Brick Road
- If I Only Had a Brain YPE (rehearsal)
- If I Only Had a Brain YPE (performance)
- If I Only Had a Heart YPE (rehearsal)
- If I Only Had a Heart YPE (performance)
- If I Only Had the Nerve YPE (rehearsal)
- If I Only Had the Nerve YPE (performance)
- Jitterbug YPE (rehearsal)
- Jitterbug YPE (performance)
- Optimistic Voices YPE (rehearsal)
- Optimistic Voices YPE (performance)
- The Merry Old Land of Oz YPE (rehearsal)
- The Merry Old Land of Oz YPE (performance)
- If I Were King of the Forest YPE (rehearsal)
- If I Were King of the Forest YPE (performance)
- Winkies March YPE (rehearsal)
- Winkies March YPE (performance)
- Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead YPE (rehearsal)
- Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead YPE (performance)
- Balloon Ascension YPE (rehearsal)
- Balloon Ascension YPE (performance)
- No Place Like Home YPE (rehearsal)
- No Place Like Home YPE (performance)
- Finale YPE (rehearsal)
- Finale YPE (performance)
This Young Performers’ Edition is a one-hour adaptation of THE WIZARD OF OZ, specially tailored for elementary and middle school-aged actors. The materials have been prepared to help your school or organization mount the best possible production and to give your young cast and crew an exciting and rewarding experience.
This classic tale, in which a Kansas farm girl travels over the rainbow to discover the magical power of home, has been entertaining audiences for generations.
Music samples provided courtesy of Sony/ATV Music Publishing
Photos 1 & 2 courtesy of Bristol Riverside Theatre in Bristol, PA
Photos 3 & 4 courtesy of Lakeland Hills Elementary School, Auburn, WA
Click on SHOW FULL DETAILS directly below
for a video excerpt from the Staging & Choreography video download.
Full performance of Jitterbug from the Staging and Choreography video download.
Each of the selected numbers can also be viewed
with audio commentary and suggestions for staging and choreography.
- Musical Numbers
Dorothy Gale, a young girl living on a Kansas farm with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry, dreams of escaping her mundane life (“Over The Rainbow“). The family’s mean neighbor, Miss Gulch, threatens to impound Dorothy’s cherished dog, Toto, so Dorothy and Toto run away. They meet up with kindly Professor Marvel, who subtly convinces Dorothy to return home. Suddenly a cyclone hits, and Dorothy and Toto, seeking shelter in the house, are transported to the Land of Oz.
In Oz, Dorothy meets Glinda, the Good Witch of the North. Apparently, Dorothy’s house has landed upon – and fatally stricken – the Wicked Witch of the East. The Munchkins, now freed from the Wicked Witch of the East, celebrate and hail Dorothy as their new heroine (“Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead/Munchkin Musical Sequence”). The celebration is interrupted as the Wicked Witch of the West suddenly appears, seeking vengeance. Unable to reclaim her sister’s shoes, which are now on Dorothy’s feet, the Witch vows to return and quickly vanishes. Dorothy, seeking a way back home to Kansas, sets off to see the Wizard of Oz (“Follow the Yellow Brick Road”).
Along the way, Dorothy meets three new friends, each of whom lacks a crucial characteristic: The Scarecrow (“If I Only Had A Brain”) The Tinman (“If I Only Had A Heart”) and the Lion (“If I Only Had The Nerve”). Together, the four new companions make their way towards Oz (“We’re Off To See The Wizard”). The Witch attempts to sedate the travelers with a poisonous field of poppies, but Glinda reverses the spell with healing snowflakes (“Poppies/Optimistic Voices”).
The travelers, arriving at the Emerald City, are delayed by a stubborn Gatekeeper, but Dorothy’s tears convince him to relent and let them in (“Merry Old Land Of Oz”). As the group awaits its audience with the Wizard, the Lion boasts he is “King Of The Forest.” Finally, they meet the imposing and irritable Wizard, who demands the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West.
The four friends travel deep into the haunted forest. Suddenly, they encounter jitterbugs, who make them dance until they collapse from exhaustion (“Jitterbug”). The Wicked Witch’s flying monkeys swoop down, capturing Dorothy and Toto. At the castle, the Witch vows to take Dorothy’s life. Meanwhile, the Lion, Scarecrow, and Tinman infiltrate the castle disguised as Winkie guards. The foursome and Toto are reunited, but the Wicked Witch interferes, threatening the Scarecrow with fire. Dorothy, dousing the flames with a bucket of water, accidentally strikes the Witch, who smolders and melts into nothing (“Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead – Reprise”). The four friends, triumphant, take the Witch’s broom back to the Wizard.
The Wizard remains imperious and imposing, but Toto pulls aside a curtain to reveal a meek and ordinary man speaking into a microphone. The Wizard, revealed to be a “humbug,” nonetheless grants each traveler’s request, giving the Scarecrow, the Tinman, and the Lion each a token of his newly-acquired ability. The Wizard offers to take Dorothy back to Kansas in his hot-air balloon, but the balloon accidentally takes off, and Dorothy is left alone and crestfallen. Glinda appears and explains that Dorothy has always had the power to return home. All she has to do is close her eyes, tap her heels together three times, and repeat to herself, “There’s no place like home.”
Back in Kansas, Dorothy awakens, confused, with a bump on her head. Reunited with all her loved ones, and relieved to learn the storm has left Miss Gulch incapacitated by a broken leg, Dorothy shares the tale of her miraculous journey, celebrating the joy and healing power of home.
THE WIZARD OF OZ
By L. Frank Baum
With Music and Lyrics
by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg
Background Music by Herbert Stothart
Dance and Vocal Arrangements by Peter Howard
Orchestration by Larry Wilcox
Adapted by John Kane for the Royal Shakespeare Company
Based upon the Classic Motion Picture owned by
Turner Entertainment Co. and distributed in all media by
Adaptation and support materials for the Young Performers’ Edition
Developed by iTheatrics
Under the supervision of Timothy Allen McDonald
Except for the credits for John Kane, Peter Howard and Larry Wilcox, the above credits for all purposes shall be in type size equal to that of any other credits except for those of the star of the show. The credits for John Kane, Peter Howard and Larry Wilcox shall at all times be in a type size two thirds of the size of the credit afforded to the other authors of the play as set forth above. In the programs, the credits shall appear on the title page thereof. No name of any person or company except the Licensee, principal sponsors and/or the star(s) of the Licensee’s production shall appear above the title or above the foregoing credits to the authors. The name of Herbert Stothart must be included in the authors’ credits
The title page of the program shall contain the following announcement in type size at least one-half the size of the authors’ credits:
THE WIZARD OF OZ
is presented by arrangement with
Tams-Witmark, A Concord Theatricals Company
Additionally, you agree to include the above language hyperlinked to https://tamswitmark.com/ on all websites on which you promote the play.
THE WIZARD OF OZ Young Performers’ Edition is presented with the fully orchestrated Performance Tracks provided with your rehearsal materials.
1 Director’s Production Guide
1 Piano/Vocal Score
30 Young Performers’ Books
1 Digital resource download, consisting of:
· Sing-Along Tracks
· Performance Tracks
· Choreography Videos
Production Kit Description
Young Performers’ Books containing the complete script and all vocal material.
Piano/Vocal Score as an additional rehearsal tool.
Production Guide containing a wealth of background material, directorial pointers, details on incorporating the show’s production into the school curriculum and suggestions for involving your community at large.
- Sing-Along Tracks to help your cast learn the songs.
- Performance Tracks with orchestral accompaniment for your production.
- Choreography Videos containing simple, effective dance steps and staging ideas for selected songs.
Hickory (Tin Man)
Rowboat Man #1
Rowboat Man #2
City Father #1
City Father #2
Apple Tree #1
Apple Tree #2
Apple Tree #3
Emerald City Chorus
Nikko, leader of the winged monkeys
A special adaptation of the classic musical THE WIZARD OF OZ, designed specifically for presentation by elementary and middle school students.
2. “Over the Rainbow” – Dorothy
3. Miss Gulch – Orchestra
4. Incidental (Part 1) – Orchestra
5. Incidental (Part 2) – Orchestra
6. The Cyclone – Orchestra
7. Munchkinland – Orchestra
8. I’m Not a Witch – Orchestra
9. Munchkinland Musical Sequence (Part 1) – Glinda, Munchkins, Dorothy, Mayor, Barrister, City Fathers
10. Munchkinland Musical Sequence (Part 2) – Munchkins, Tots, Tough Kids, Mayor, Barrister, City Father
11. The Slippers – Orchestra
12. There They Are – Orchestra
13. Witch Disappears – Orchestra
14. Leaving Munchkinland – Orchestra
15. “Yellow Brick Road” – Mayor, Coroner, Munchkins
16. Playoff: Yellow Brick Road – Orchestra
17. Scarecrow Fall – Orchestra
18. “If I Only Had a Brain” – Scarecrow & Dorothy
19. “We’re Off to See the Wizard Duet” – Dorothy, Scarecrow, & Crows
20. Playoff: We’re Off to See the Wizard – Orchestra
21. Apple Throwing – Orchestra
22. “If I Only Had a Heart” – Tin Man, Dorothy, Scarecrow
23. Witch On Roof (Part 1) – Orchestra
24. Witch On Roof (Part 2) – Orchestra
25. “We’re Off to See the Wizard Trio” – Dorothy, Scarecrow, & Tin Man
26. Lions, Tigers and Bears – Orchestra
27. “If I Only Had the Nerve” – Lion, Tin Man, Scarecrow, & Dorothy
28. The Haunted Forest – Orchestra
29. “Jitterbug” – Jitterbugs
30. “Optimistic Voices” – Girls Chorus
31. “The Merry Old Land of Oz” – Emerald City Chorus, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Toto
32. SFX Message For the Girl – Orchestra
33. Surrender Dorothy – Orchestra
34. “If I Were King of the Forest” – Lion, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Dorothy
35. Magic Smoke Chords – Orchestra
36. Lion’s Running Exit – Orchestra
37. Witch’s Castle One Mile – Orchestra
38. Bring Me That Girl – Orchestra
39. Winged Monkeys – Orchestra
40. SFX I Knew You’d See Reason – Orchestra
41. Toto’s Escape – Orchestra
42. Hour Glass – Orchestra
43. “Winkies March” – Winkies
44. Reprise: “Over the Rainbow” – Dorothy, Aunt Em
45. Reprise: “Winkies March” – Winkie Guards
46. Witch Returns – Orchestra
47. Witchmelt – Orchestra
48. “Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead” – All
49. Balloon Descent – Orchestra
50. Balloon Ascension – Orchestra
51. Never Get Home – Orchestra
52. No Place Like Home – Orchestra
53. Finale – Orchestra
54. Bows – Orchestra
Find upcoming performances near you.
Organization City, State First Performance Last Performance The Interprovincial Music Camp Parry Sound, ON 08/31/2019 09/01/2019 Argyle Theatre Babylon, NY 09/21/2019 10/20/2019 Timothy Christian Schools Elmhurst, IL 10/17/2019 10/19/2019 Tri-Town Theatre, Inc Sidney, NY 10/18/2019 10/20/2019 Grain Valley North Middle School Grain Valley, MO 10/24/2019 10/26/2019 Pulaski Academy and Central Schools Pulaski, NY 10/25/2019 10/26/2019 Christian Academy of Knoxville Knoxville, TN 10/25/2019 10/27/2019 Shorecrest Prep School Saint Petersburg, FL 11/01/2019 11/02/2019 Kealakehe Intermediate School Kailua Kona, HI 11/01/2019 11/02/2019 Arts Live Theatre Springdale, AR 11/07/2019 11/11/2019 Sweet Harmony Performing Arts Group Clearfield, UT 11/08/2019 11/16/2019 Christian Youth Theater Chula Vista, CA 11/08/2019 11/17/2019 Thomas Jefferson Middle School Port Washington, WI 11/16/2019 11/17/2019 Tahlequah Middle School Tahlequah, OK 11/16/2019 11/17/2019 West Genesee Middle School Camillus, NY 11/21/2019 11/23/2019 Wakefield Middle School Raleigh, NC 11/21/2019 12/07/2019 Young People's Theatre Guild Defiance, OH 11/21/2019 11/23/2019 Fredonia School Fredonia, NY 11/22/2019 11/23/2019 Macedonia Elementary School Canton, GA 12/05/2019 12/06/2019 Clifford Smart Middle Schools Commerce Township, MI 12/05/2019 12/07/2019 Rootz Glenview Nas, IL 12/06/2019 12/08/2019 Edison School Okotoks, AB 12/14/2019 12/15/2019 Hillside Middle School Manchester, NH 12/14/2019 12/16/2019 London Community Players London, ON 12/19/2019 12/21/2019 Our Lady of Sorrows School Livonia, MI 01/18/2020 01/20/2020 Oshman Family - Palo Alto Jewish Community Center Palo Alto, CA 01/25/2020 01/26/2020 PS 11 New York, NY 02/01/2020 02/02/2020 Mountain Park Elementary Schoo Roswell, GA 02/06/2020 02/08/2020 Bryn Mawr School Baltimore, MD 02/07/2020 02/08/2020 Regents School of Oxford Oxford, MS 02/13/2020 02/14/2020 Davenport Junior Theatre Davenport, IA 02/13/2020 02/23/2020 Saint Mary School Fort Walton Beach, FL 02/14/2020 02/15/2020 St. Joseph Parish School Avon Lake, OH 02/21/2020 02/23/2020 Servite High School - Junior Thespian Prod. Anaheim, CA 02/21/2020 02/24/2020 Fern Hill School Burlington Burlington, ON 02/26/2020 02/26/2020 Harrison Middle School Pittsburgh, PA 03/01/2020 03/16/2020 Nightingale-Bamford School New York, NY 03/11/2020 03/12/2020 John Kerr Elementary Winchester, VA 03/13/2020 03/13/2020 Caruso Jr. High School Deerfield, IL 03/13/2020 03/15/2020 Pittsburgh CLO Academy Pittsburgh, PA 03/14/2020 03/14/2020 Batavia Studios Butler, PA 03/14/2020 03/16/2020 Everitt Middle School Wheat Ridge, CO 03/14/2020 03/15/2020 Charlotte Avenue Elementary School Hamburg, NY 03/17/2020 03/18/2020 Holy Spirit School Pequannock, NJ 03/19/2020 03/22/2020 West Point Elementary School Clearfield, UT 03/19/2020 03/21/2020 Encinal School Menlo Park, CA 03/20/2020 03/22/2020 King Philip Middle School Norfolk, MA 03/20/2020 03/22/2020 Andover Elementary Middle School Andover, NH 03/26/2020 03/28/2020 St. Francis Xavier Elementary School Phoenix, AZ 03/27/2020 03/28/2020 Londonderry South Elementary School Londonderry, NH 03/27/2020 03/28/2020 Lincoln Middle School Meriden, CT 04/02/2020 04/04/2020 Rochester Middle School Rochester, NH 04/03/2020 04/05/2020 Circle Christian School Winter Springs, FL 04/03/2020 04/05/2020 Dartmouth Middle School North Dartmouth, MA 04/03/2020 04/04/2020 A Lorne Cassidy Elementary School Stittsville, ON 04/07/2020 04/08/2020 Del Prado Elementary School Boca Raton, FL 04/08/2020 04/08/2020 Patterson Mill Middle High School Bel Air, MD 04/17/2020 04/19/2020 St. Margaret Mary School Harrisburg, PA 04/18/2020 04/19/2020 Red Hawk Elementary School Erie, CO 04/18/2020 04/19/2020 Stage Door Productions Memphis, TN 04/23/2020 05/03/2020 St. Maximilian Kolbe School West Chester, PA 04/30/2020 05/01/2020 Broadalbin Perth Elementary School Amsterdam, NY 05/01/2020 05/03/2020 Indian Creek Middle School Trafalgar, IN 05/01/2020 05/03/2020 Stanley Middle School Stanley, NC 05/08/2020 05/09/2020 Encino Community Center Encino, CA 05/09/2020 05/10/2020 YMCA of the North Shore Haverhill, MA 06/05/2020 06/06/2020 Syracuse Children's Theatre Syracuse, NY 12/11/2020 12/20/2020